Immigration Advice Moving To New Zealand

Before you move to New Zealand it is recommended that you get immigration advice.  This advice should help you complete the application for a visa and move to New Zealand.  There are 3 ways that you can apply for an immigration visa and you should consider these options.

Completing The Form Yourself

Completing the visa application yourself will save you money and it can be done on the New Zealand immigration website.  When completing this application you will need all the information for yourself on hand.  Each visa type will require a different form and there are guides that you can download on the site to help you complete them.

If you are unsure about which visa option you should be applying for you can contact the Immigration department for help.  There is information regarding this on the Immigration website as well as guides to help you determine the visa that you need.

Hire A Licensed Immigration Advisor

If you are not confident about completing the visa application on your own you can hire a licensed immigration adviser.  When you do this you need to ensure that they have a current license.  If the advisor does not have a license and is not exempt from the license they will be committing an offense by taking payment for the advice.

The New Zealand immigration website offers a list of licensed immigration advisers that you can choose from.  Before you hire the advisor you should also check what type of license they have.  There are certain licenses that only allow the advisor to offer information on limited areas of immigration.

If you have any problems with finding a licensed advisor it is possible to contact the Immigration Advisors Authority directly.  This authority is in charge of all licensed advisors and will be able to help you find one that you could work with.  They are also the authority that you should contact if you wish to make a complaint against the advisor that you have chosen.

Engage Someone Exempt From Licensing Requirements

There are certain people who are able to offer immigration advice without a license.  These people are exempt from the requirements for licensing and will not be committing a crime by offering you advice.  These people could be residing outside of New Zealand or within the country’s borders.

The people exempt from licensing who reside outside of New Zealand will include foreign diplomats and consular staff.  You would also be able to engage an education agent if you are looking at student visas or a lawyer with a current New Zealand practicing certificate.  Employees of the New Zealand government who do not reside in the country will also be able to provide immigration advice as part of their jobs.

People exempt from licensing within New Zealand will include layers with a current practice certificate.  Member of Parliament and their staff will also be able to offer immigration advice as part of their jobs along with other government employees.  You can also get advice from volunteers at the Community Law Centers or Citizens Advice Bureau.